Monday, December 26, 2011

C Bandit takes ITALY: Rome

Oh Rome.  Being new to the whole Traveling business, I really didn't think the independent portion through.  I didn't know that the hostel made a difference.  I didn't know that spending 3-4 days in one location was plenty of time.  I just didn't know what to do or expect.  I was doing this blindly.  So when I decided to go to Rome, I thought to myself, "If I'm going to go somewhere, I want to see it all.  That should eat up an entire week."  My stay in Rome was 8 days which was 4-5 days too long.  You can do Rome in 3 days EASILY.  Don't get me wrong - it was great.  I got to see things that people can only dream of.  After the 2nd day, going at my own pace, I felt like I had pretty much seen it all.  I had to stretch it out though.  I had to hit the major things and then I could do whatever after that.
I tried to make it out to see something major every single day.  I think I succeeded.  I actually made it to the Vatican City 2 or 3 times.  Sounds like nothing but it's actually really far from where I was staying and for the majority of the time, I walked.

After walking a modest amount in Paris, a ton in Rome and far too much in London, I was SUPER lazy thinking I couldn't walk Ann Arbor.  Ann Arbor aint got nothin' on Europe.

I determined, however, that backpacking alone and thinking it would be fun to reflect, meet new people, yada yada yada, that all sounds great but in reality, traveling with people you like is better.  PEOPLE YOU LIKE is key.  I was a deaf mute for two weeks.  My hostel was not hoppin', I mostly saw families or tour groups.  Every time I got online, the time difference to the states was far too late for anyone to be online.  I had no one to talk to - it was a bit lonesome.  I played with my photos in photoshop and posted them on Facehook to occupy the time that I didn't spend exploring or sleeping.  I wanted to get away from everyone on the trip when I went to Italy but at this point, I just wanted to talk to anybody.

There's something about eating alone in Europe that makes you just feel like a loser.  You think everyone is looking at you and talking about you in various languages.  The violinist should just come over and play you sad sad song while the entire restaurant watches and laughs.  For this messed up reason, I didn't eat that much.  When I did decide to eat, it was at odd hours - however, people are constantly eating.

To sum up Rome - it was great. Glad I went.  Wouldn't trade the experience for anything.  You can do it in 3 days EASY.  Lots of walking.  Lots of tourists.  Hot in July.  Everything is so ancient.  Even cheap italian food in Italy is great food.







1 comment:

  1. Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

    ReplyDelete