Monday, March 15, 2010

The Adventures of C Bandit & the Infant

So watching a child is more difficult than it seems.  It's not like what you see on television.  You actually have to be responsible.  You have to feed them, clothe them, bathe them, entertain them.  It's very rewarding to put them down for the night knowing you achieved what needed to be done.

And the main events of the week of substitute-motherhood were as follows:
Monday
  • (2) trips to the grocery store
  • (1) trip to the car wash  
Tuesday
  • (1) trip to the grocery store
  • (1) dinner in crock pot
  • (1) trip to the snow covered park on this balmy 54 degree day.
  • Lock thyself and child out of house - CHECK ****
  • (5) hrs until the dinner in crock pot burns.
  • (1.5) hours walking around the house like a burglar, looking for unlocked windows/doors
  • (10) Attempts to unlock the door using a trick that I thought I learned on Burn Notice but actually learned it on YouTube
  • (10) Failed attempts and (1) bent key.
  • (1) trip to McDonald's
  • (8) calls & texts to people with access to a key or the number of someone with a key.
  • (1) trip to Whole Foods to burn time.
  • (1) refreshing 1.5 mi walk around the block (yes, that's about all I can handle before deeming a walk unwalkable.)
  • (1) little boy's nap schedule completely thrown off by the days events.
****  [Due to the simple fact that I watch more than the doctor recommended amount of Law & Order: SVU, I have become an increasingly paranoid person.  8 out of 10 shows display some form of B & E (breaking and entering) and I don't really want to become a victim to that so I lock an unnecessary amount of doors thinking I'm going to prevent it from happening.  Also, in addition to my paranoia, with the lack of adult supervision this week, you'd better believe I would go to the extremes of placing large furniture and/or mattresses in front of the entrances.  Needless to say, I locked a door that I forgot to unlock upon exiting said door...]


Wednesday
  • (1) morning nap
  • (1) trip to the mall.  Destination: food court play area.
  • (10) glances from surrounding mothers which I can only assume they are thinking, "No ring and a baby...that 15yr old girl really screwed up."
  • (1) bored baby
Thursday
  • a whole lot of nothing.
  • (1) unscheduled diaper rash
Friday
  • (1) morning nap
  • (1) trip to Meijer's for diaper rash medicine
  • (1) cart full of random things 
  • (1) trip home with random things
  • (1) bag full of random things but no diaper rash medicine because apparently I forgot what the purpose of the trip was...
Saturday
  • (5) hours of finding a way to waste time after getting kicked out of the house from future tenants.
  • (10) jelly beans until I realized I gave up candy for lent...
This week has been interesting and surprisingly relaxing.  I used to want three or four kids and then recently, none.  But I think I could handle one child.  The hours aren't favorable but it's worth it right?

Anyways, I learned a few things this week:
  1. ALWAYS, always, always check the doors or get a hide-a-key so as not to lock myself out of the house.
  2. Make a list of things to get when going to the store - especially when you're planning on getting something specific.
  3. Babies don't like sitting in shopping carts for long periods of time.

    2 comments:

    1. HAHAHAHA that's hilarious. ya man, bobsled.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I'm glad you and the infant survived. You'll make a great mother.

      ReplyDelete