Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I have a problem...

I'm ashamed to say that I think I have a problem.  It's a rising epidemic...I'm sure.  I know that there's a cure but, like many addicts, I refuse to seek treatment because I don't think the problem is that bad.  Ok, so I find every opportunity to get my latest installment, who doesn't?!?  I think about purchasing things all the time.  When I'm online, 7 times out of 10, I've got something in my shopping cart.  I've memorized my credit card number for faster transactions - don't you know yours?  So maybe I literally just bought something cool for my computer and a sleep therapy machine and maybe I randomly thought about buying an acoustic guitar for shits and giggs...and suddenly I'm thinking about buying a miniature dog...maybe my bank statement reads like a Dear Santa, please buy me unnecessary crap list...Yes...maybe I have a problem...I decided to google it and face the problem head on because you and I both know that there is a name for every disorder/addiction/phobia imaginable.  Facebook Addiction Disorder (FAD)Genuphobia: Fear of knees. This particular disorder is called omniomania.  With further research, I found that there are support groups for such a disorder and yes, ironically, you can buy books on the issue.  But I took an online quiz and, as my fears surface, I'm happy to say, my problem isn't that bad (yet).

Do you quite often feel the urge to go shopping when you are low or depressed? 
nope - mostly when I'm bored.
Do you get high from shopping? 
not really, that costs extra.
Do you frequently walk away from a store with many more purchases than you had intended to make? 
yes - mostly when I go to Target.
Are your credit cards almost to their limit or maxed out? 
thankfully no.
Are you unable to resist a sale or bargain? 
it depends on the balance of my bank account
Do you ignore family or work responsibilities so you can go shopping? 
in the age of online shopping, I can multitask.
Do you try to hid your purchases or even lie about them to family and loved ones? 
sometimes...but I don't know why.
Do you buy a lot of things that you end up not even using? 
nope - everything is usually 1/2 way open as I'm leaving the store.
Do you leave price tags on items so you can turn around and return them? 
no, it takes time and energy to do that.
Do you feel a sense of guilt or shame after some of your shopping trips? 
not normally
Do you go on buying binges that you feel are beyond your control? 
no?
Do you quite often buy things that you know you cannot afford? 
not...often.
Are you unable to resist a sale or bargain? 
I think you already asked this question.
Would you rather shop than engage in other hobbies or recreational activities? 
sometimes - but I count shopping as a hobby.
When you buy for others do you always pick up a little something for yourself? 
of course.
Has your excessive shopping habits ever resulted in credit problems or even legal action? 
not yet.


Survey says...You scored 3.0 (scoring range: 0-15) 
"In answering "No" to most of these questions, it is unlikely that you have a shopping addiction."


Praise the Lord, I'm HEALED!
On that note, and on an unrelated topic, I'm still "researching" guitars so...suggestions are welcome.

On a related note, I have recently discovered two television shows that can be filed under, "Reality Shit."  I don't know why I'm fascinated with it but I spent all of this past Sunday watching it On Demand.  It's crazy disgusting to see how some people live in a mountain of their own garbage.  The recurring theme in each of the shows was that Hoarders also have Shopping Compulsions...Not good...  Watching these shows made me feel really itchy and dirty and made me want to clean.  So anyways, I recommend these shows.  They say that over 3 million people suffer from Excessive Hoarding...crazy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment